Saturday, September 26, 2009

DIY Radiopoppers RPcube



While I love the Nikon CLS system, I find that it can be problematic at times. The flashes aren't always able to "see" each other. I decided to go with radio triggers. I started with gadget infinity triggers; then I graduated to pocketwizards. However, when Radiopoppers announced their JrX line of triggers and receivers and the potential to adjust the level of flash output, I decided to give them a try. Unfortunately, the JrXs require the not yet released "RP Cube" to adjust the flash output. With how long it takes Radiopoppers to release their products, I chose not to hold by breath.

I decided to build my own RP Cube.

I ordered a couple of Nikon AS-900 cords from BH Photo. The cost around $10 each. I chose these cords because I have an SB-800, SB-600, and an older Vivitar flash that supports (maybe) Nikon TTL (an older version). As a result, I cut it, and used the hot shoe for the SB-600, and the female three prong side for the SB-800.




It is pretty cool to wirelessly control the power of my strobes. Another reason I went with the radiopoppers is that the ability to control my alienbees is built into the JrXs without modification. Here are some non-scientfic shots of me wirelessly adjusting the flash in my kitchen. Note that there are two flashes in the picture. However, the SB-800 is turned off and is not firing. These images include just the SB-600 firing from the DIY RPcube hot shoe.


2 comments:

  1. Your fearless creativity is so remarkable! While the rest of the world waits and waits for Radiopoppers to release their RP Cubes you bypass the wait and are already using the radio triggers! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man - great work! I did this for my whole batch of Nikon flashes + RadioPoppers. Couldn't have done it without your help.

    http://www.miriellophotography.com
    http://www.realestatephotographypodcast.com

    ReplyDelete