Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I can't solder worth...

My aunt has a Canon Rebel XTi. In an effort to help eliminate camera shake, I decided to try to build her a remote for her camera. Fortunately, the XTi has a pretty simple remote control interface. It is basically a stereo 3/32 (smaller one) headphone jack connected to some buttons. To be honest I wish my Nikon D90's interface was as simple, but I digress.

I searched the web and I found very simple instructions here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s3is-rox/2236114921/

I bought a couple of push buttons at radio shack. I used a Goo Gone bottle as the housing. The wires were left over from other projects, I tried to use a jack from a cell phone headphone/microphone head piece. However the jack was designed to carry 4 signals instead of a regular stereo jack which carries three. As a result, the cell phone jack didn't line up in the body of the XTi as it should. I may have been able to get it to work with a little more effort, but it was more simple to just go find a stereo jack.

Here it is. It works, and isn't flashy but hey. I think it would look cool to put a bunch of L.E.D. lights in there, but...



As an aside: My soldering sucks. You would think that after all the "do it yourself" projects I have tried to do, I would start to get better. But no... I may be worse than when I started.

2 comments:

  1. There is no other way to put it… YOU ROCK! MacGyver has NOTHING over you! Thank you, thank you, thank you for so generously taking precious time during your break week to construct my very own, one of a kind, custom designed camera remote. I love it!!! :) My most recent HDR photos are infinitely superior to the first ones – eliminating camera shake was a most significant improvement. No longer having to hold my hand at an awkward angle during bulb settings is definitely a bonus!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got back from another shoot and must tell you once again how grateful I am to you for building my remote!

    ReplyDelete